Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bored

Trevor has to work until midnight tonight...ughhhh. I love the Holidays, but when your husband works retail, it is not always fun. But I am very grateful that we both have jobs, we are very blessed. I just hate being in my house alone. I wish we could get a dog or something, I am a big scaredy cat. Oh well...

Today was very busy. If any of you went out and tried to do any shopping today, you know exactly what I mean. I guess I heard someone say it's the busiest shopping day of the year. I guess the Saturday before Christmas even beat out black friday. I don't know if that's true, but it was interesting to me. And after braving the crowds and the traffic today, I don't have a problem believing it. But I did finish all my shopping, and am officially ready for Christmas! We are spending Christmas at the Abbott house this year. I am very excited to let Trevor experience our traditions and festivities. We celebrate Christmas Southern style. My grandparents on both sides are from the south; Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee. And of course, most of you know, my dad is Mr. North Carolina. My mom was raised in California, but her parents had their southern habits that rubbed off on her. Anyways, it was a tradition way back when for all my grandparents (I think) to eat seafood on special occasions, because all lived so close to the ocean, and that is what was plentiful. So for as long as I can remember, on Christmas Eve, instead of eating turkey or ham or something like that, my mom steams king crab legs, shrimp scampi, and cheese biscuits, while my dad grills salmon and oysters. He is the only one that eats the oysters though. I can't stand them. Of course we have other dishes to go along with it, but the seafood is the main point; this dinner is my favorite of the year. I am very excited. I am sure most of you are probably thinking, that is gross. I know you either hate seafood or you love it. My family loves it. Good thing Trevor does too. Our Christmas Day dinner is pretty typical, we always have ham. And we will usually go see a movie as a family and if there is snow, we hitch up sleds behind the fourwheelers and ride around until it's dark. It will be fun. I hope all of you have a great Holiday spending time with the people that you love and taking part in your own traditions. I am so grateful for everything I have and this time of year; to be with family and celebrate the birth of our Savior, who gave us the gift to be together forever! Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

michael. mindy. dane. said...

I'm glad you get to be with your fam! And I'm glad you guys have some time off.

Your Christmas Eve dinner sounds AMAZING to me! Shrimp scampi and crab are my favorites! We are having steak and shrimp on Christmas for dinner, and I am excited. But I am jealous of all the other seafood you're having!

I hope you have a Merry Christmas! I miss you!

PS, how is Shannon?

Kim Call said...

I LOVE seafood, too! What wonderful traditions! And I can't tell you how much it means to me that you all love Trevor as much as we do. I wish I lived closer to you....I'd come over and watch movies with you when he has to work late. I hate being alone in my house, too ~ you can always call me if its too quiet up there....there's lots of noise around here! (Or we could give you Scout.... :)